Categories
Posts

Visual Essay

Absratct: This is the visual representation that I choose believing it would help put more information about Language and Accent Discrimination. For more information please refer to the Post Language. This is a medium is through video and can only be viewed through this link.

Original Transcript 

We all know about racial profiling, but do we all undesatnd language profiling?

You see flyers in our community and sometimes in school giving lessons to remove your accent. 

So you could remove what makes you, You 

In “melting pot” American

Accent discrimination is not just with bi- angual people either 

It is even with native speakers, 

For example a New york Accent and  Southern accent 

People form misconceptions on both accents, the twang in the southern accents associates people with illteralcy and people with a new york accent being associated with rowdy tailgaters 

But both  of these are Stereotypes

So,  Who do we sound like? 

A native speaker?

But what is the sound of a native american speaker?

Accent discrimination does more harm than good

Classification of your worth as a human being has been reduced to your

Background; race, geography and class means to be stereotyped

You have witnessed this or have experienced this in your life 

Everyone has an accent 

<For my friends who code switch and those who are  bi langual they have constantly been undermined in school and at home where the “proper” pronunciations and use of language have been imposed on them under the guise of blending in>

<Today, the worth of a human being has been reduced to background, race and geography.  The ancient class system have allowed us to be stereotypes for too long.>

Let’s do better 

Reflection

Language discrimation has become something more demanding in recent years. It goes beyond a simple joke when everyone uses it as their punchline. To associate one’s educational background and concept of information with their dialect and choice of words is one of the most unbefitting ways people are weighted in the world. To fit in with everyone else, means you need to speak the same language the same way, to dress the same way, to remove the culture that  makes you, you. It is one thing to use appropriate speech, no profanity or sexual remarks, but if you have to change how you say and arrange your words for an office job, a job interview and even at school you are self censoring yourself in order to fit in. 

This reason why I chose this topic is because of a discussion I had with my previous english class in my 2020 semester about their previous language experiences. I only speak one language but I didn’t realise how much my language has changed inorder to blend in with everyone else in New York since I mostly grew up in North Carolina and had a southern accent. When I heard from my other classmates who came from a bi langual family home I was shocked that some of them weren’t even taught spanish because their parents didn’t want them to face the same language discrimation they once had when they first came to the New country.

I choose my genre inorder to reach the modern audience since most people use the internet to share and create opioids and ideas. My intended audience influenced me to strive for something simplistic that would catch their ideas. I didn’t include personal pictures of people because I don’t want them to associate language with a particular race or group of people. I want them to be able to point it out in their own personal friend groups and at their social gatherings and work settings. I attempt to draw my audience’s emotions from paphos using music, the type of music typically associated with a sad story or negative feeling  that evokes a sense of change in the story. I don’t want my views to associate the topic of language discrimination  with a

happy idea or thought but rather associate it with their bad experiences inorder for them to relate to or even have a beter understand of the perspective I am trying to display. Similarly to when you listen to a break up song and you start to reminisce about your first disappointing relationship. 

Formulating this project was a lot easier than a traditional essay because I get to use minimal words and I get to explain my issue in a more pleasurable way. The amount of work is less when it comes to typing but, getting all the footage together and taking pictures using my camera and drone took a lot of work to bring together. 

https://youtu.be/cE2xmvfvA3E